We seem to be having quite the luck this year with birthday parties. Mace’s was good, Tristen’s was a disaster, and now MaraJade’s. We had already decided to combine her party with PJ’s for family, but I hadn’t really thought about friends. So in church on Sunday, PJ asked, “Aren’t you having something for her birthday with her friends?” Oh, duh. So I made some awesome invites during Sacrament and handed them out after.
Cut to Tuesday morning, I’m starting to run around finishing up preparations, and I get a call from one of my friends – they won’t be coming because her daughter has been throwing up. Just as we hang up, Jadey barfs on the couch. After a few minutes of debate, I decide to cancel. So I make all the calls, and she throws up again. Luckily, that’s all that’s happened so far today, so we’re hoping it’s a 24 hour thing – and that it doesn’t spread to the rest of us. But if it does, we know it has a 18-24 hour incubation period, so we’ll find out by Thursday morning.
Anyway, Auntie Linda stopped by with her present, as did MaraJade’s buddy Mae, the boys and I finished her cupcakes and we had those for dessert. So it was still a Birthday.
And so, here are some of my favorite things about my Monster:
- She is such a girly girl – I waited through 2 wild and crazy boys to get my little princess, and boy is she!
- But she’s also a little bruiser – no one is going to take advantage of this girl!
- How she takes my face in her hands and strokes it – just out of the blue
- How she leans on my shoulder and rubs my back – just out of the blue
- Watching her dance whenever there’s a beat to follow – she just can’t help it
- Listening to her sweet little voice as she bosses her brothers around
- Watching her organize her things – I love that one of my kids got this gene from me – I so get her!
- Her love of shoes – I swear, I did not influence her at all!
- Her ability and desire to have quiet time – the boys never just sat and colored quietly for an hour or looked at books
All said, I waited many years for this little girl, getting her here was a rough ride, but every moment has been worth it. She’s a monster, she’s a demon, but she’s the sweetest, funniest, loviest one there ever was.
Happy Birthday, Jadey Jade!